Venice

I just need to first say that wordpress is making me so very angry. All I would like to do is add a fantastic picture I took as the header, but the 3o times I have tried uploading it just haven’t been successful.  So now we are all stuck with this toothpaste green background..

Last weekend was my trip to Venice.  Let’s just say it was definitely an adventure.

Friday:  We boarded the train and it was kind of chaotic, we are given post-it rip offs with seat numbers. Obviously no one stuck to their seat, so I was able to sit with my friends Annie and Tabby.

This was probably the most comfortable train I have ever been on.. So for about the first 15-20 of the ride we were in a tunnel, not much to see. Then pretty much out of a Harry Potter movie/book we come out of the tunnel and it is white everywhere! We were going through Bologna and there was several feet of snow resting on the hillside it was unbelievably gorgeous. So much different then Florence. I was in awe. But about 2 hours later we arrived in Venice! It was so incredible when we walked out from the train station and there was the canal and gondolas and strings of lights.

We got a private boat taxi ride to our hotel which took about a half hour. And then we were there. Can I just say that this hotel definitely needs to update their website a little bit. Not like the pictures at all, but it served its purpose.  So in my room it was me, annie, mirrie, jenn, and someone I just met named Celina (who laters calls all of us out in her blog saying very nasty stuff , it was mean and immature, at the same time hilarious) but for the most part it was fun staying with everyone else. so that night we freshened up and headed out for a place to eat. We left with a big crowd and eventually split up and just a few of us made our way to San Marco (the main piazza in Venice/also the main square for Carnival) and found a cheap little restaurant.. I got lasagna.  After we walked back and ate really good caramel gelato and found a gorgeous mask

met back up with the rest of the group.. We walked around and found an area with a few bars and hung out.. Walking around Venice at night  was beautiful and eerie. Not too many people were on the street considering it was the biggest weekend there. But Jenn and I were tired and not in the mood to drink so we headed back and went to bed early..

Saturday: Had to wake up at 8 for headcount and breakfast, which included cereal and bread and some pastries (not a 250 euro breakfast) but after we went back to our room and got ready for the day and the four of us (celina left) left to take pictures and see Venice. Followed the mass crowds (where did they come from?) and found our way back to San Marco. It was nuts. People already in costume and ready to celebrate.  Normally San Marco is filled with pigeons but since they set up stages and booths there weren’t as many.  But we found bread and fed them and they flew up on my arms it was amazing, they have no fear. After taking pictures and having a good time we walked back to the apartment to really get ready.. then bought some alcohol and made our back BACK to San Marco, we started drinking and most were drunk by 5-6 pm. Crazy stuff. Shorten up the rest of the night and lets just say there was a lot of drunk Americans, confusion, and vomit (not from me) after walking around all day, Mirrie and I decided to go home.. So by 2am we were in our pjs just talking about our day.

Sunday: 8am head count, breakfast. This time i headed out with Nick,Tabby, Shannon and Annie.. We headed back to San Marco to see the opening ceremony of Carnevale and watch as a woman (the angel) glide from the top of the bed tower to the main stage. It was kind of funny to watch but still very cool then we made our way across the river and went to find this church.  After we found a pub and had burgers and french fries. Definitely worth it. I miss American food too much.  But after we walked back to the hotel and waited to leave.. it was definitely an experience all right. Things I can laugh about now but I hope to make it back there one day and really explore everything. :D

This weekend was quiet, most people were in Rome for a trip and some of my roommates went to Malta, I decided to stay here and relax. Friday I finally made it to Gusta’s Pizza (the apparent greatest pizza in Florence) 100% true. SO GOOD AND SO CHEAP.. drank a corona with it.. good night. then Saturday, my roommate Anna and I went to the central market.. I got the most delicious oranges and pears.. then dried fruit, bread, and biscotti. Probably paid less then 10 euro for all of it. After we met up with other kids who stayed behind and went to the Accademia to see the David!

IT WAS AMAZING. it was mind blowing to learn about this and see pictures my whole life and to finally see it in person.  It is even bigger than I imagined. I am so blessed to be here and experience all of this! Thanks mom and dad <3

Anyway, hoped you enjoyed. Ciao!

About abade79

Hey! My name is Emma Abad.. I am a Junior attending Rowan University and this semester I am living in the cultural amazement that is Florence, Italy. Check out what I am up to!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Venice

1. hedy says:

so wonderfully awesome! so glad your sharing all this with us. and you are most very welcome xoxoxoxox

2. hedy says:

so wonderfully awesome! thanks for sharing! and you are most welcome xoxoxo

3. hedy says:

yes i left two of the same message. i meant to do that :) (not)

4. dad says:

Wonderful ! I’m so proud… a corona with pizza, i have taught you well young skywalker.

5. Sara says:

i really wish this blog would get updated…i need to learn all about paris and dublin